Contact the university using the inquiry formGet the international student application form now

How international students pay for US study

You may be able to find assistance to help pay for your university education, but aid is rare and you should be prepared to pay for university in the USA using your own resources (including those of family and friends). Consider these statistics*:

International students who used their own resources to pay for university:

  • 81% of undergraduate students
  • 48% of graduate students

Undergraduate international students who received financial aid:

  • From the university: 7%
  • From their home governments: 5%
  • From private organizations: 5%

* from NAFSA: Association of International Educators

Scholarships and sources of funding for international students

We do not offer full scholarships for international students at James Madison University International Study Center.

Partial scholarships of up to $5,000 may be offered to applicants with high grades who need some financial support. Ask about our academic-merit scholarships when you apply.

Our tuition fees are great value for international students. International Year One costs less than direct entry into Year 1 at James Madison University.

If you need a full scholarship to study at a US university, organizations in your own country can be good sources. 

Funding your university study

Most international students who study at James Madison University use their own resources and the resources of their family to pay for their education.

There is limited financial assistance available for international students, but there are some sources of funding if you need help paying for university. However, be aware that there is a lot of competition for international student scholarships. Attaining high grades is a very important factor. More aid is available for graduate and research students, than for undergraduate study.

Seeking assistance in your home country

The government or other organizations in your home country may have financial aid available. We encourage you to contact:

  • The Ministry of Education or relevant government agency in your country to inquire about international study scholarships or financial aid.
  • The US embassy in your home country
  • Your nearest EducationUSA Advising Center for assistance in finding sources of financial support within your own country. Search by region for US-sponsored Advising Centers.
  • Businesses, foundations, and religious organizations in your home country that might have funds available to help pay for university in America.

Financial aid from James Madison University

  • You may be eligible to apply for James Madison University international student financial awards once you leave the ISC and matriculate onto your full-time degree program:
    • tuition grants for international undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need and academic excellence
    • graduate assistantships for international graduate students

Other sources of funding

The following resources may be useful in finding scholarships or financial aid for studying at James Madison University:

  • American Councils for International Education provides student grants and fellowships to international students from Asia, Russia and Eurasia, such as the Afghanistan Undergraduate Fellowship Program.
  • AMIDEAST provides grants for international students from the Middle East and North Africa.
  • Grant Space FAQ is an online resource devoted to foundations that fund individuals.
  • The International Education Financial Aid Page features a searchable list of grants, scholarships and loan programs for international students.
  • is an online financial aid resource for international students wishing to study in a foreign country.
  • King Faisal Foundation has an international student scholarship program for Muslim students to undertake postgraduate studies at any USA university.
  • Soros Foundations Network offers international student scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students. Many are restricted to students from specific countries.