Answers to common questions

You may find the answer to a specific question you have about the International Study Centre on this page:

Your University degree
Courses at the ISC (general information)
The International Foundation Year
Entry requirements
English Language Preparation
Pre-arrival (insurance, visas, travel etc)
Contacting us

Your University degree

Q: What degrees can I study at the University?
A: Liverpoool John Moores University degrees available to students who successfully complete ISC programmes can be seen in the International Foundation Year progression table.

Q: How can I find out about the degree courses?
A: Links to information about LJMU degrees can be found on LJMU's Courses page.

Q: How long are University degrees in England?
England operates a 3 year degree system. On completion of the International Foundation Year, students move into the first year of an undergraduate degree. Therefore, international students will complete their university study in 4 years. This is different for Masters degrees.

Q: Am I guaranteed progression to a degree at LJMU?
A: Yes, if you obtain the required grades at the end of your course, you are guaranteed a place on a LJMU degree.

Q: What grades do I need to gain a degree place?
A: You can find the grades required for each degree in the progression table.

Q: When do I have to choose the degree I want to study?
A: You apply to take a particular subject route through the International Foundation Year, in line with your intended area of undergraduate study, and then select your actual degree course during your foundation year.

Q: Do I need to take an IELTS exam before progressing on to a degree?
A: No, but you must gain the English grade required for your chosen degree at the end of the International Foundation Year.

Q: Can I go on to study at a different university?
A: If you take your International Foundation Year at Liverpoool John Moores University International Study Centre, you are expected to go on to study your degree at Liverpoool John Moores University. In effect, you are enrolling for four years of study on the University campus.

^ top

Courses at the ISC

Q: Who validates the ISC courses?
A: Liverpoool John Moores University

Q: Who teaches the ISC courses?
A: The International Foundation Year and International Year One are run and taught by Study Group, a world leader in education and training for International students. Every year, Study Group provides courses for 50,000 students from 120 countries. The International Study Centre is a dynamic partnership between the University and Study Group.

Q: Where are the courses taught?
A: The courses are taught at the International Study Centre in Liverpoool John Moores University – right in the centre of Liverpool. You will study alongside British and other International students.

Q: How will I be assessed during the International Foundation Year?
A: By a mixture of examinations, coursework, presentations and extended essays.

^ top

The International Foundation Year

Q: Who is the course designed for?
A: The International Foundation Year is for non-UK students (both 'overseas' and EU) who have completed High School with good grades, but whose academic qualifications do not yet meet the University's general entrance or degree requirements. The International Foundation Year is for you if you want a programme that takes you to the right academic level as well as improving your English.

Note that the International Foundation Year is NOT for British students who completed GCSEs in the UK.

Q: Which subjects can I study?
A: You can choose between two International Foundation Year subject routes:

Q: What will I study on the International Foundation Year?
A: You will study ten modules in total: five core subjects (e.g. English skills, study skills and maths) and five specific subject modules which vary depending on your foundation route. You will study three of these modules in term 1, three in term 2 and four in the final term.

Q: How many hours a week will I study?
A: Study is for 36 hours per week, including 16 hours of class contact time (lecture and seminar style) and a minimum of 20 hours per week made up of small group seminar work and directed self-study.

Q: How long does the International Foundation Year last?
A: 3 terms. The length of a term varies between 9 and 12 weeks.

Q: How long do I study each module?
A: Each module lasts one term and is studied for five hours per week.


Q: Is on-campus accommodation guaranteed while I study on the International Foundation Year or International Year One?
A: Yes, providing you have accepted your offer of an academic place, and you have booked accommodation directly through the accommodation provider by any published deadlines, you are guaranteed a place in student accommodation. Accommodation is allocated on a first come, first served basis.

Q: Is accommodation guaranteed while I study for my degree?
A: Yes, as an international student you are guaranteed accommodation for the duration of your degree at LJMU.

Q: What type of accommodation is available to me?
A: On-campus accommodation is either an en-suite room or standard single room with a shared bathroom. View more information about accommodation.

Q: Are there cooking facilities in the accommodation?
Yes, all accommodation is self-catering and you will have access to a kitchen equipped with a microwave, cooker, kettle, fridge and freezer.

Q: What furniture and fittings will my bedroom have?
Each room contains a bed, desk, chair, wardrobe and shelving. Some rooms have built-in TV points but assume you will require an aerial if you bring a TV with you. En-suite rooms have private shower and toilet facilities. Standard rooms all have their own washbasin. All rooms have telephone and computing network points.

Q: Is there internet access in my room, is it free?
Yes, all student bedrooms have access to the internet, free of charge.

Q: Where is the accommodation?
A: Marybone 1 is across the road from the ISC and the Learning Resource Centre. Marybone 1 is located at the very heart of LJMU's City Campus.

Q: How much is the accommodation?
A: Costs vary depending on the accommodation type. The weekly rent payable for privately-managed student accommodation in each year is set out on the fees page.

Q: What is included in the accommodation fees?
A: All utility bills (gas, water and electricity) are included. A cleaning service is included for communal areas. All rooms have a telephone and a computer network point.

Q: Can I stay in my room over the vacations at no extra charge?
A: If your tenancy agreement includes the Christmas and Easter vacation periods then vacation supplements will not be applicable.

Q: Can I opt to make my own accommodation arrangements?
A: Students over the age of 18 years can arrange their own accommodation. Details of other private providers in Liverpool can be found on the Liverpool Student Homes website.

However, if you have not pre-booked accommodation in university residences, we are unable to confirm your place at the ISC until you provide contact details of where you intend to stay or details of the arrangements you are proposing to make. This must be completed before your arrival. Students under 18 years of age are strongly encouraged to stay in student accommodation.

^ top

Entry requirements

Q: What are the academic entry requirements for the International Foundation Year?
A: A minimum academic background of high school graduation with good grades, or equivalent academic study. Contact us to find out if your qualification is accepted.

Q: Do I need to take an IELTS or TOEFL exam before applying to the International Study Centre?
A: We advise that you get a valid IELTS or TOEFL test. You will also write an English test at the ISC when you arrive. Contact us for advise about taking a test now.

Q: How old do I have to be to start at the International Study Centre?
A: There is no legal minimum age requirement, but students are usually 17 years old on commencement of the International FoundationYear.

Q: Can 'overseas' students apply to the International Study Centre?
A: Yes, the International foundation Year is designed for overseas students. In broad terms, an 'overseas' student is one who is not normally resident in the UK.

Q: Can EU/EEA students apply to the International Study Centre?
A: Yes, we accept International Foundation Year applications from students from the European Union and European Economic Area.

Q: Can UK students apply to the International Study Centre?
A: Unfortunately we are not able to accept applications from UK students. Progression for UK students taking the foundation course cannot be guaranteed because competition for places for UK students is very high. Instead we recommend students consider joining an A Level course.

^ top

English Language Preparation

Q: How can I find out my English Language level?
When you apply for a place on the International Foundation Year or the International Year One at LJMU ISC, you are advised to be in possession of a valid IELTS, TOEFL or Pearson test of English grade.

Q: My English Language level does not meet the International Foundation Year entry requirement of IELTS 4.5.
A: Depending on your level of English, you can study one or two terms of English Language Preparation before you start the International Foundation Year. This will improve your language skills to the required level. Read more about the English Language Preparation course.

Q: What level of English language do I require to start English Language Preparation at the International Study Centre?
A: You need to have a minimum English Language level of the equivalent to IELTS 4.0.

Q: How is my English Language assessed for progression onto the International Foundation Year?
A: You are not required to take an IELTS exam for progression. We measure your English language ability with an internal assessment based on the English Speaking Union System (ESU). The ESU provides a scale from 0 to 9. Zero (0) is a beginner in English, and 9 is a near-native speaker. To start the International Foundation Year programme you need an ESU score of 4.5 (or the equivalent).

^ top


Q: What are the International Foundation Year, International Year One and English Language Preparation fees?
A: Tuition fees in pounds sterling (GBP) are shown on the fees page.

Q: When do fees increase each year?
Fees for the academic year starting in September come into effect at the end of March of the same year. 

Q: What other costs might I need to pay?
A: You should also consider the costs of accommodation, insurance, airport transfer, bedding packs and other sundry charges for accommodation, and the credit card surcharge.

Q: What are the University degree fees?
A: The international student fee for degrees at Liverpoool John Moores University varies. Read more about LJMU fees for international students.

Q: When are the ISC tuition and accommodation fees payable?
A: Once you accept your offer of a place, we require a deposit of £500 together with £500 advance payment of fees (plus any insurance fees applicable) - this being the required Confirmation Payment. The remaining tuition fees can either be paid in instalments, one month prior to the start of term, or in full in advance if preferred.

Q: How can fees be paid?
A: We accept payment by cheque, Sterling bank draft, telegraphic transfer or credit card. Credit card payments are accepted in sterling from Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Switch, Solo, JCB or Debit Card.

Please note that a 2% surcharge will be added to payments made by credit card, and £1 charge for payments by debit card.

More information on payment of fees can be found in our Terms and Conditions.

Q: Do I get a refund if I cancel my place?
A: If you do not meet visa entry requirements, a full refund will be given. A cancellation fee is charged if visa entry requirements have been met. For details see our Terms and Conditions.

^ top


Q: When can I start the International Foundation Year?
A: You can start the International Foundation Year in either September or January.

Q: When can I start the International Year One?
A: You can start the International Year One in September.

Q: When can I start the English Language Preparation (ELP) course?
A: ELP courses start in January, June and September each year. See the key facts section on the English Language Preparation page for start dates applicable to each International Foundation Year entry point.

Q: Can I go home during the holidays?
A: Students are advised to check with the Head of Centre before booking their travel back home at the end of each term. In particular it is advised that you check with the Head of Centre before booking travel home at the end of the course in case it is necessary to remain in order to receive results and be advised of the next steps in your study plan.

Q: What date do I start my LJMU degree?
A: You will start your degree in the autumn following your International Foundation Year start i.e. if you enter the International Foundation Year in either September or January, and then you will start your degree in the following September. Masters students, please note that because Pre-Masters/MBA courses are shorter, these dates may not apply to you. You will get all this information during the application process.

^ top


Q: What is the deadline for applications?
A: Subject to availability, we continue to consider applications up to two weeks after the start of the International Foundation Year programme.

However, we recommend applicants submit their application as early as possible, and at least a month before the start of term. See International Foundation Year start dates.

Note that the visa application process may cause delays to admission.

Q: How do I apply for the International Foundation Year and English Language Preparation course?
A: You need to apply directly to the International Study Centre. Do not apply through UCAS. You can apply in three ways:

  1. Apply online using the Online Application Form. You will be required to submit copies of all relevant academic transcripts and certificates of English language qualifications later in the process.
  2. Download the application form (pdf download icon, 470kB), print it out, complete it and fax it to +44 1273 339398 along with the relevant documentation.
  3. Apply through an educational representative in your country using the Find a Local Agent form.

Q: What happens after I submit my application?
A: Read about the steps in the admissions process.

Q: Who will help me with my application?
A: One of our team of expert Student Enrolment Advisers, based in the UK, will support you with your application and with the visa process right up until you arrive at the University. Read more in the Contacting us FAQs.

Q: If my application is successful, when will I receive the documentation required for visa application?
A: Once we have received your confirmation payments (see the fees FAQ for details), we will send you a Certificate of Enrolment and Visa Support letter. You will need to submit this with your visa application.

Q: How long does it take to apply to the International Study Centre?
A: The ISC application process is much faster than applying directly to a University through UCAS. If your application is successful, we can issue an offer within one working week once we have all your relevant documentation.

^ top


Q: Is there an insurance policy offered to international students?
A: Yes. StudyCare is a comprehensive insurance plan administered by ACE European Group Limited, a leading insurance provider. It has been developed specifically for international students by leading education specialists with over 35 years' experience. View more information about StudyCare insurance.

Q: Do I need a visa to study at the ISC?
A: That depends on your nationality or country of residence. See our visas page for more information. Visas will be issued for a 1 year duration, and you will need to renew your visa accordingly.

Q: Can I work while studying in the United Kingdom?
A: If you are hoping to work while you are in the United Kingdom, you must check the stamp or sticker which is put on your passport by the immigration authorities and you must check with the University's International Office that you are allowed to work. If you have a student visa you are allowed to work for 20 hours per week in term time and any amount per week in holiday times. It is a very serious offence if you work without permission.

For more information see the International Office pages.

Q: How do I get to Liverpool John Moores University?
Full details of how to travel to the University are on the Maps and Transport page.

Q: Can I arrange airport collection and how much is it?
A: You can book an airport pick-up during the application process. This means that a taxi will pick you up on arrival and take you to campus. Airport pick-ups and cost details can be seen on the fees page.

Q: When should I arrive at the University?
You should aim to arrive at your accommodation on the Saturday or Sunday before your course starts.

Q: What will happen when I arrive in the UK?
A: Specific pre-arrival information will be provided once we receive your flight details and due fees. It will give you the inforation you need before, during and after your arrival at the International Study Centre. Read the general pre-arrival information .

^ top

Contacting us

Q: How do I find out more about the courses, the ISC or the University?
A: If you have a question and cannot find the answer on this website, please contact us. We will be pleased to help you with any questions you have.

Q: How can I contact the ISC?
You can contact us using the online enquiry form, by telephone, by fax, by post, on Facebook or in person if we are visiting your country. Details are on the How to Contact us page.

Q: Who will answer my questions?
The ISC is run by Study Group, a world leader in education for international students, in partnership with the University.

Our team of expert Student Enrolment Advisers will assist you with any questions you have, and will help and support you through the application process, until you arrive at the University. Our advisers speak 15 languages between them: English, Cantonese, Mandarin, Arabic, Farsi, Japanese, Spanish, Norwegian, Hungarian, Polish, German, Russian, Portuguese, French and Italian.

Meet our Student Enrolment Advisers.

Q: What if my English isn't very good?
To make it as easy as possible for you, our Advisers speak a variety of languages (see list above), and understand several more. Do not worry if your English is not very good - we are experienced in communicating with non-native English speakers, and we will do our best to understand you.

Q: How can I get in contact with current ISC students?
LJMU International Study Centre is on Facebook. Join our Facebook community to connect with ISC students and staff, ask questions and leave messages.

Q: I am trying to use your enquiry form but it does not work.
Apologies! We try to avoid errors on our enquiry form but sometimes they can occur. You may wish to contact us by phone or fax instead:
Phone: +44 (0) 1273 339333 (omit the zero, like this +44 1273 339333,  if you are calling from outside the UK. Normal international charges apply. Our working hours are 09:00 to 17:30 GMT).
Fax: +44 (0) 1273 339398

Q: I have received an email from you, but it does not answer my question.
The first email you receive from us in response to your online enquiry is an automated response. You will receive another email shortly, from a Student Enrolment Adviser, who will answer your question. You will then be able to correspond with your dedicated Adviser by email.

How do I contact someone in my own country to help with my application?
If you think you will feel more comfortable talking to someone face-to-face in your own country, you can contact a Study Group educational agent. Complete the Find your Local Agent form.

^ top

Jump to Undergraduate degree preparation courses   
LJMU Logo banner image
LJMU banner image
LJMU Dream, Plan Achieve image