While not obligatory, we strongly recommend that all international students have the protection of appropriate accident and medical insurance for the duration of their time in Ireland. The consequences of being uninsured can be extremely difficult and expensive.
Students may either take out our own StudyCare Insurance Plus policy (the cost of which will be included in your fees) or alternative cover with a third party. StudyCare Insurance Plus covers loss of personal possessions as well as providing health and medical insurance. Please let your admissions advisor know if you wish to take advantage of our insurance.
Insurance for international students
StudyCare Insurance Plus has been designed specifically to offer international students comprehensive protection and support during their studies at the International Study Centre. The insurance covers you until the end of your course.
Your questions answered
We have listed a number of common questions below, but we would encourage you to consult the flyer, key facts and group policy that are listed above should you have any further questions.
What is StudyCare Insurance Plus?
- StudyCare Insurance Plus is a comprehensive insurance plan underwritten by Zurich Insurance plc. Medical assistance and claims administration is managed by Endsleigh Insurance Services Limited, a leading insurance provider specialising in shaping protection around the needs of students, professionals and business niches.
What will happen when I progress to my degree?
- StudyCare Insurance Plus was designed to provide cover during your stay at the International Study Centre. It will not cover you once you have progressed to your chosen undergraduate or postgraduate studies at the University.
How much will it cost?
- There is no cost to you for StudyCare Insurance Plus.
How do I take advantage of the cover?
- At the time of your enrolment, you will be offered the option to choose StudyCare Insurance Plus. Alternatively you may wish to take out alternative cover with another provider.
When will my cover start?
- Cover for cancellation expenses starts from the moment you have paid the insurance fee in full. Cover for the remaining sections starts from the inclusive dates for which you require cover. These dates will include time for your journey to your study destination and return home.
What will I receive as proof of my cover?
- You will also receive a statement of insurance which will show your StudyCare policy number and the 24-hour emergency telephone number in the event that you need assistance whilst en route.
What happens if I cancel or change my course?
- StudyCare International Plus includes cancellation and curtailment cover. Tuition and accommodation fees up to a certain level are covered if you have to cancel because of illness or accident. If you change your course, we will change the insurance period and premium to reflect the length of the course and travelling times, without penalty.
Are there any exclusions?
- The main exclusions in the policy are for holidays other than incidental holidays, self-injury, war or illegal acts. Also, you should be aware that the value of the premium paid may exceed the value of the benefit amount. Full details of exclusions are included in the StudyCare Insurance Plus policy and Key Facts documents mentioned above and we strongly advise you to read these before making your decision on whether to accept the policy.
Who should I contact to make a claim?
- You should telephone the claim number that is given to you when you take out the insurance policy, as soon as reasonably possible after the date of the occurrence.
Will I have to pay excess against any claims?
- In some cases you will have to cover the excess yourself. Full details are set out in the StudyCare Insurance Plus Policy.